Chakra is a Sanskrit word meaning wheel, or vortex, and it refers to each of the seven energy centers of which our consciousness is composed. These chakras regulate the flow of energy through our body. The chakras reflect our decisions - what to think, what to feel, and what we choose to experience in the world around us.
The chakras are not physical. They are aspects of awareness. Each chakra is associated with particular body parts and functions that are controlled through two major vehicles, the endocrine system (bodily functions) and the nervous system. Learning about Chakras will give you the knowledge of understanding the relationship between your mind and body. They will give you a clearer perception of yourself and those around you.
The Seven Charas and their Meanings:
1. Root Chakra - Represents our foundation and feeling of being grounded.
Location: Base of spine in tailbone area.
Emotional issues: Survival issues such as financial independence, money, and food.
2. Sacral Chakra - Our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences.
Location: Lower abdomen, about 2 inches below the navel and 2 inches in.
Emotional issues: Sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, sexuality.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra - Our ability to be confident and in-control of our lives.
Location: Upper abdomen in the stomach area.
Emotional issues: Self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem.
4. Heart Chakra - Our ability to love.
Location: Center of chest just above heart.
Emotional issues: Love, joy, inner peace.
5. Throat Chakra - Our ability to communicate.
Emotional issues: Communication, self-expression of feelings, the truth.
6. Third Eye Chakra - Our ability to focus on and see the big picture.
Location: Forehead between the eyes. (also called the Brow Chakra)
Emotional issues: Intuition, imagination, wisdom, ability to think and make decisions.
7. Crown Chakra - The highest Chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually.
Location: The very top of the head
Emotional issues: Inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality, pure bliss.